You must have a California Fishing License to fish in California Waters and off California Beaches.
Licenses are available at most tackle shops and sportfishing landings or you may now purchase your license online!
Online License Sales
What Licenses Are Available Online?
- Resident Sport Fishing License (Valid January 1 to December 31)
- Non-Resident Sport Fishing License (Valid January 1 to December 31)
- One-Day Sport Fishing License
- Two-Day Sport Fishing License
- Ten-Day Sport Fishing License
- May be purchased in the same transaction with the base license purchase:
- Second-Rod Stamp
- Sport Fishing Ocean Enhancement Stamp
- Colorado River Stamp
- Note: Bay Delta Stamp is no longer required
California Fishing License Pricing
Before You Start
You may purchase a sport fishing license for yourself or as a gift for someone else.
Requirements for purchasing a sport fishing license online:
- To purchase a license for yourself, you must provide your name, residency status, driver's license number, date of birth, residence address, height, weight, hair color and eye color.
- To purchase a license as a gift for someone else, you must provide the licensee's name, residency status, date of birth, and residence address.
- Must use a Visa or MasterCard for secure purchasing.
- Must have a printer to print license.
- Information must be accurate.
- There are no voids or refunds.
- Internet browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0, Safari 3.1 or Firefox 2 or newer.
How will I receive my license?
- For annual licenses, your license will be mailed to you. However, at the end of the transaction you will be able to print a temporary document for immediate use until you receive your license. NOTE: The temporary document will become invalid after 15 days.
- Temporary documents cannot be used to purchase additional stamps or report cards.
- If you need a report card for an immediately planned activity, please go to an Authorized License Agent for the entire purchase.
- If you intend to purchase a short term license document and need a report card or other privilege not available through this site for the planned activity, please go to a license agent for the entire purchase.
- Short-term license documents will not be mailed to you. You will be responsible for printing your Short-Term or Temporary License Document at the time of purchase. A working printer is required to view and print your license(s).
- Please allow ten (10) days for delivery of Annual License.
To purchase your license on line use the following link:
On Line California License Sales
Mexican Fishing Licenses
Fishing permits are now available online from the Baja California Secretary of Tourism
Fishing licenses may be obtained in one of four ways:
- Filling out the online application from the Baja California Secretary of Tourism
- Visiting the CONAPESCA office in San Diego or by mailing in your application and money order
- Some local tackle shops
- State tourism offices in Baja: Tijuana, Rosarito, Ensenada, San Felipe, San Quintín
About the Secretary of Tourism's Online Application -
The online application from Baja's Secretary of Tourism allows you to purchase and print a fishing permit 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The website is also has helpful fishing information including a fishing calendar, list of launching ramps, FAQs and a forum to post questions.
- Register by filling out the online application
- They will send a confirmation email to you
- Click on the link in the confirmation to activate your account
- Log in
- For a new permit, click the "Process Permit" button
- Select length of time for the permit: day, week, month or year
- Select what waters you will be fishing in
- Select dates for your permit
- Continue on to pay for the permit
- After paying, a receipt will pop up if you wish to print it
- Click "Continue" to be taken back to the first page of your account
- On the first page of your account you will see your permit listed; click "See Permit"
- Print out permit
Online fishing license pricing:
One day: $136.51 pesos - at a 12.50 exchange rate (as of 10/18/10) = $10.92 dollars
One week: $284.66 pesos - at a 12.50 exchange rate (as of 10/18/10) = $22.77 dollars
One month: $407.96 pesos - at a 12.50 exchange rate (as of 10/18/10) = $32.64 dollars
One year: $531.36 pesos - at a 12.50 exchange rate (as of 10/18/10) = $42.51 dollars
Keep in mind your credit card may have a currency conversion fee since this is an international transaction
Accepted forms of payment: Visa, Mastercard. Prices subject to change.